Basic Boat Info
Engines / Speed
- Make: Yanmar
- Model: 4JH3TE
- Drive Type: Direct
- Fuel: Diesel
- Engine Power: 75hp
- Propeller Type: 3 Blade, Bronze, Folding
- Year: 2001
- Engine Hours: 4450
Co Brokerage Sail Search is pleased to assist you in the purchase of this vessel. This boat is centrally listed by Free State Yachts.
The 420 is one of the most desirable and best built yachts Island Packet has ever offered. The hull incorporates a host of design elements that improve a concept that emphasizes seakeeping, safety, stability, and speed. The bow and stern configurations combine to increase boat speed through a longer sailing waterline and reduced resistance in waves, while refinements to the keel and rudder foil sections benefit upwind performance, reduce drag, and enhance steering. The hull continues to be molded as a one-piece (integral hull and keel) solid tri-axial fiberglass structure, utilizing Island Packet's pressure-fed resin impregnation system, PolyClad 2 gel below the waterline, and DuraShield gel on the topsides. The 420 deck design offers all the key features long appreciated by Island Packet owners: recessed foredeck with bulwarks, anchor platform with two rollers (the exclusive SeaSafe patented design), full-length stainless steel cabin top handrails, beautifully molded detail for hardware, an improved dodger - windshield mount, and Dorade vents with stainless steel cowls and welded guards.
The boat's chain plates are fixed to the hull with a system of double welds, embedded in fiberglass and reinforced with uni-directional glass and bi-axial glass run fan-like well down into the hull. It's a proven, time-tested Island Packet system.
Engine mounts, mast step (on the keel), 12-volt wiring system, and steering systems show the same attention to detail as the hull-deck joint and chain-plate systems.
The cockpit has full-length contoured seats that accommodate a large crew or invite stretching out. A folding teak cockpit table, with nearby teak drink holder, provides a comfortable place for outdoor dining, and stows out of the way when not needed.
The helmsperson will enjoy excellent visibility. The console mounted steering features Island Packet’s trademark rack and pinion geared design, providing a combination of control, reliability, and strength unmatched by any other wheel steering design. The steering wheel is covered in leather for enhancement of the grip and better control, and the single lever engine control lever is right on the pedestal. The engine panel itself is within easy reach of the helm and features full analog gauges for all readouts.
Cockpit convenience features abound with standard details such as built-in insulated beverage locker, two large seat lockers with gas support struts with easy access, a hand held cold water shower that easily reaches the stern swim step, deep swim ladder with rubber treads and two stern rail seats.
- Custom made ocean capable davits
- Stainless steel arch with engine hoist
- Stainless steel outboard engine mount
- Stainless steel railing surrounding cockpit integral with arch
- 6" Richie compass at helm station
- Full enclosure Sunbrella bimini and sprayhood, with side panels and roll up textilene sun shades at back. Sun covers for all window panels
- Transom mounted swim ladder
- Stereo speakers
- Cockpit shower
- Manual bilge pump
- Offshore Danbuoy with light
- Lifering with light
The deck is laid out with ocean passages in mind, with wide walkways, raised bulwarks forward, full length continuous stainless steel cabin top handrails, double lifelines with welded rails fore and aft, premium diamond pattern slip resistant surface, all designed to enhance safety and security while moving about on the deck. Sail control lines are led aft to the cockpit, enabling crew to stay in the cockpit while adjusting sails.
- Lewmar V4 anchor windlass with foot controls at bow and remote control at helm station
- 33kg/73lb Rocna anchor, with 250ft 3/8" chain plus 150' line
- Fortress anchor
- 60ft 5/16 chain plus 150' line
- Trilense radar reflector
- 3 stainless steel dorades with blanking plates
- 2 jackstays and anchor points
- LED masthead tricolor and anchor light
- Masthead strobe
- Bow mounted running lights
- Deck light
- Sunbrella sun covers for all hatches
- Anchor wash down
The large, central living area is equally suited for social gatherings, off-watch retreats, or gourmet dining. Full-length, facing settees are incorporated, with the starboard L-shaped settee able to convert into a double berth with a pull-out extension. Island Packet's trademark folding dining table hinges from the bulkhead storage rack to provide for either a large serving - dining area or, when retracted, a completely open salon. Large storage areas are available under and behind both port and starboard settees, in cabinets outboard, and above the settees, and in a cedar lined hanging locker. Large capacity tanks for water and fuel are located under the sole, keeping these considerable weights low and close to the center of the yacht to maximize stability and increase useful storage elsewhere. The full-size navigation table with hydraulic swing-out seat - adjacent to the main salon - should please the most ardent navigator, and includes recessed master electrical distribution panels.
Beautiful cabinetry and joinery work in select varnished teak, well place light fixtures and handrails, numerous opening ports, deck vents and hatches, and durable and easily maintained overhead and hull surfaces make this salon and the entire interior as attractive as it is practical.
A Sony radio with amplifier and switchable distribution to 4 Bose speakers provide pleasant background music for dining or relaxing.
For comfort in heat or cold, reverse cycle air conditioning is provided, with outlets throughout the boat. When you don't wish to run the AC, Five 2-speed Hela fans are strategically placed throughout the Salon and cabins to provide a breeze.
- There are shades and mosquito screens for all ports and hatches
- Hinged teak companionway screen door with translucent inserts
- Stainless steel security grille for companionway, and security bar for hatch in forward cabin
- 2 Lee cloths
- Blue Ultra Leather seat covers for Salon.
- Weems and Plath clock and barometer
The spacious galley, immediately to the starboard side of the companionway, is easily accessible to the cockpit and the main salon, and features numerous convenience details for the cruising sailor.
A generous, wrap around counter provides ample work-space for food preparation while numerous drawers, lockers and laminate-lined cabinets offer abundant space for organized provisioning and galley-ware storage.
A 3-burner Princess propane stove with oven and separate microwave provide options for cooking. Dual stainless steel sinks are supplied by the pressurized water system with spray tap, as well as a hand pump. A slide-out trash receptacle is strategically located. The well-insulated Frigoboat refrigerator and freezer features a lid that opens on a gas strut to reveal a divided, lighted interior. It includes a keel-cooler for maximum efficiency.
A Seagull water filter provides pure drinking water through a separate faucet. 110v and 12v power outlets are easily accessible.
The spacious owner's cabin is located forward and includes a private head compartment with stall shower. The stateroom has a large double berth offset to starboard and angled away from the hull side to allow access from either side. The berth top is hinged and supported with gas struts and may be raised to access a generous storage bin underneath for blankets and the like. Additional drawers, lockers, shelves, and a cedar lined hanging locker provide ample room for personal items. A dressing seat adds further convenience, and two deck hatches, a Dorade vent, and several opening ports will keep this area bright and breezy. The adjoining head has a sink vanity with cabinet space over and under, and linen drawers. The shower includes a molded seat and folding textured acrylic door that stows flat against the bulkhead when not in use.
- Sharp TV/DVD player mounted on wall
- Raritan manual toilet
- Shower stall with folding acrylic door and Grohe pressurized hot and cold water shower
- Electric shower sump pump
- Stainless steel sink
- 2 mirrors
- AC outlet
The aft guest stateroom is accessed through a private entrance on the port side of the salon. It has a wide double berth, ample storage in a hanging locker and locker. The en suite aft head may also be accessed from the salon area, and includes a shower with curtained enclosure and folding seat over the toilet. The sink vanity has cabinet storage over and under.
- Raritan manual toilet
- Grohe pressurized hot and cold water shower with wrap around shower curtain
- Electric shower sump pump
- AC outlet
- VHF, ICOM IC-506 with cockpit mic New 2015
- Single Sideband, ICOM IC-M702 (Tuner replaced 2017), with antenna tuner (AT130), backstay antenna
- Pactor PtC-IIusb (Pactor 3) SSB modem
- Chartplotter, Raymarine C90W color at helm
- Wind strength, speed and depth instruments, Raymarine ST-60
- Autopilot, Raymarine with ST7002 control head and Whitlock drive unit
- Hydrovane windvane steering system
- Radar, Raymarine 2KW digital radar mounted on mast platform
- GPS, Raymarine Raystar 125
- Automated Information System, AIS Watchmate 850 Transceiver. Integrated with Raymarine Chartplotter New 2015
- Navtex, Furuno
- Battery Monitor, Xantrex Link 10
- Propane detector and control, Xintex S2
- Carbon monoxide detector, Xintrex, mounted in forward cabin
- Wirie external wifi antenna
- Paguro 5000 110V generator New 2014
- 1800 watt Xantrex inverter
- Multi-voltage battery charger, Sterling 60-amp smart charger New 2016
- Echotec watermaker, 430-AML-1
- 2 Solar panels (140 watt ea.) with MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) controller
- 2 Wind Generators Starboard New 2017
- 6 x 105 amp hr AGM house batteries New 2015
- 1 x 95 amp hr AGM engine starting battery New 9/2017
- 6HP Side-Power bow thruster
- 2 Cruisair air conditioner units with reverse cycle heating, one 16000 BTU and 1 7000 BTU
- 2 Galvanic Isolators, 30 amp each (Zinc Saver)
- 100amp Balmar alternator with smart multi-stage regulator
- 11-gallon hot water tank heated by 110v element and engine New 2/2019
- Automatic fire extinguishers in engine and generator compartment
- 5 portable fire extinguishers
- Automatic Electric bilge pump with float switch
- Back-up high output electric bilge pump with alarm
- 2 X 30 amp shore power connections
- Charleston Spar in-mast furling
- All standing rigging replaced in 2012
- Running rigging has been refreshed on an as needed basis
- Harken roller furling genoa
- Harken roller furling staysail with Hoyt staysail boom
- Spinnaker with snuffer sock
- Lewmar Ocean Series winches
- Doyle mainsail (Jan. 2014)
- Ullman staysail (Dec. 2016)
- 2 Genoas, one custom built by a New Zealand sailmaker in December of 2015, and another adapted to fly without furler, allowing for a twin headsail rig
- 2 Extendable whisker poles with sliding mast attachments for easy handling
- Folding aluminum mast steps to top of mast
- Spectra/dyneema inhaul and outhaul lines
- Yanmar 4JH3TE 75 HP turbo charged diesel
- Engine hours approximately 4450
- Maxprop feathering propeller
- Water 250 US gallons
- Fuel 160 US gallons
- Holding Tank 30 US gallons (plastic) and electric macerator pump
- AB 9ft aluminum floor dinghy with beach master wheels and dinghy chaps
- 15 HP Yamaha 2-stroke engine
- 2 HP Yamaha 2-stroke engine
- Docklines and fenders
- Spare engine parts including spare alternator
- Assorted Marinco shore power cables
- Other assorted spares
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.